SUPPLEMENTS / HERBAL REMEDIES USED TO TREAT GAD
- German chamomile, ginkgo, kava, lavender, lemon balm, melatonin, passionflower
INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE FOR EFFECTIVENESS
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan), ashwagandha, bacopa, bergamot, bitter orange, California poppy, echinacea, guarana, hawthorn, holy basil, magnesium, motherwort, rhodiola, skullcap, St. John’s wort, theanine, valerian, wine, yohimbe
Because generalized anxiety can affect people throughout life, it is important to find a treatment plan and a coping strategy that work and stick to them. You may feel better in one day or one week, but the symptoms will likely recur if you cut back on your relaxation exercises or healthy lifestyle strategies.
Joining an anxiety support group can help reduce feelings of isolation and provide a better understanding of your own experiences and those of others. Staying socially connected with empathic friends and relatives also helps people gain perspective on their symptoms and avoid isolation.
LIFESTYLE HABITS THAT MAY BENEFIT GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER
- Stay physically active by creating a daily routine of walking, jogging, or any aerobic exercise.
- Limit alcohol and sedative medicines.
- Cut back on coffee consumption.
- Quit smoking.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Consume a healthy diet that includes fish, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.